First semester at MIIS

In December I completed my first semester in the Conference Interpretation program (MACI) at the Middlebury Institute of International Studies in Monterey. I’d like to commit this blog post to reflecting on the semester, directed at anyone who may be curious or interested in pursuing a similar journey.

I will structure this post with a general overview of what the semester looked like, and then do a Q&A format based on what some colleagues on Twitter expressed they would like to hear about. I can’t cover every angle of attending MIIS in a single post, so certain topics may be saved for more in-depth rumination down the road.

By way of context, my language combination in the program is English A, Spanish B, German C. I am doing the entire four-semester program (not advanced entry). It is a 60-credit program, and my first semester included 16 credit hours of the following classes:

  • Introduction to Consecutive Interpreting, English to Spanish
  • Introduction to Consecutive Interpreting, Spanish to English
  • Introduction to Consecutive Interpreting, German to English
  • Introduction to Consecutive Interpreting, English to German (audited)
  • Sight Translation, Spanish to English
  • Sight Translation, English to Spanish
  • Introduction to Translation, Spanish to English
  • Introduction to Translation, English to Spanish
  • Introduction to Translation, German to English
There were both mid-term and semester exams, the latter typically being worth 60% of your total grade. A passing score cuts off at B-, so you need a B and above to pass the semester. Mid-term exams to/from Spanish were roughly three-minute consecutive segments to be interpreted from memory (no notes allowed). Semester interpreting exams were three- to four-minute speeches for each direction (two three-minute speeches in the case of German), note taking permitted. 

The faculty gives aspirational recommendations for weekly time devoted to interpreting practice. If I remember correctly, we were advised two hours of weekly practice for each hour of class, which for sight and consecutive combined would add up to 20 hours of weekly practice. I can assure you that reality did/does not allow for this, on top of class time, weekly translations, and leading a healthy, balanced life. Realistically, my practice hours was closer to 10–15 hours per week. While it never seemed enough, I was able to find a happy rhythm that didn’t drive me insane and cause me to burn out too quickly. 

Transitioning to an FAQ format, here are some questions I’ve been asked to address regarding my first months at MIIS:

How do you find the quality of classes and faculty so far?

Excellent. The instructors are supremely committed to their students’ progress and professional success. What became immediately apparent was the benefit of receiving weekly detailed feedback from instructors on the skills we are developing. As interpreting is a skill that requires abundant practice (not just knowledge), I feel that a huge strength of the program at MIIS is the structure in place for diligent practice and feedback from instructors, all working interpreters, as well as from classmates.

Is the course work rigorous?

Yes. I would consider both translation and interpreting to be skills that require rigorous work, but undoubtedly there is a performance factor in interpreting that goes beyond language skills: voice inflection, confidence, physical mannerisms, body language, posture etc. 

How are you tackling this financially? (Via @GHernandezNet)

Check out my post from last summer “Weighing the costs of grad school” where I explain how I’m approaching finances with such an expensive school.

My friend and colleague Jason (@KNAPP_LS) asked about financial aid. I applied for a merit-based scholarship during the admissions process, and was offered enough to convince me to bite the bullet. 

What about your freelancing business while you are studying? (Via @vero_demi)

My earnings and business have been put 95% percent on hold. I am able to take the occasional remote hearing on my off day, and accepted a few appointments from old clients over the holidays. Otherwise I have decided to devote all my energy to this program. I notified important clients of my decision before starting in August, and updated my website to reflect my academic hiatus.

What are the news skills you feel you are acquiring? Have you had to learn/unlearn habits? (Via @allinportuguese)

Our consecutive classes were based on speeches and “long form” consecutive, a skill I had almost never used nor practiced before. The consecutive used in court interpreting is wildly different (short, exact utterances), and I have had to shift much more to a message-based and public-speaking mindset than with anything I’d done before. The habits I have been unlearning revolve around stepping away from words, communicating a fluid message, and giving a convincing performance. Public speaking is not a secondary skill for this kind of interpreting, rather the central skill, in my opinion. 

What do you bring to the table, as a working interpreting? (Via @allinportuguese)

A lot! My professional experience of working as a medical and judiciary interpreter in the last five years gave me invaluable knowledge on the interpreting market, professional skills, running a business, and seeing what it all takes. I would never trade that for starting a degree earlier.

How is living, studying, and eating in Monterey? (Via @KNAPP_LS)

Monterey Bay is a beautiful area. Personally, I am unconvinced that it is worth the cost of living, but it is undoubtedly a stunning location for a two-year grad program. I live on a quiet, residential street 15 minutes from campus by car. 

MIIS estimates a two-semester cost of living at $20K per student. I will do a more detailed blog post about this, but long story short, that estimate is unrealistic if you are an adult with healthy living and grocery habits.

My dining-out budget allows for a modest meal about once a week, and there is no shortage of delicious take-out in the area. With 65–75ºF (18–24º) sunny weather for most of the year, I try to study and read outside when I can. Lovers’ Point in Pacific Grove and Ford Ord Dunes in Marina are two places I enjoy going, the former to sit, the latter to walk.

I’m appreciative to everyone who chimed in with questions on Twitter. I received some great interaction that I couldn’t cover in the scope of this post, in particular from @__bernababe and @MattPerret who asked about supply, demand, and financial elements of a MACI. I’ll have to save some of that material for another dedicated blog entry, because I know it’s often at the top of people’s minds when thinking about a degree of this nature.

As always, thanks for stopping by and feel free to drop me any questions below!

Comments

Popular Posts