Timeline of state court certification

One of the more trying aspects of the Washington State court interpreter certification process was the wait. Waiting for written exam results, waiting for the date of the oral exam to be set, waiting for oral exam results, waiting for your swearing-in date. Maybe it's my personality type, but I don't like those unknowns. Not just the obvious unknown of waiting for results to come in—even not knowing the exact date of the impending oral exam was able to cause me undue stress if I let it.

I wanted to commit a very short blog post to simply documenting the timeline of my court interpreter certification experience, start to finish, with all relevant dates that I have documented. 

April 8, 2017: Sat written exam in Spokane.

May 11, 2017: Received e-mail notifying me that I had passed written exam.

May 17, 2017: Received letter notifying me of my score for written exam.

June 3, 2017: Attended day-long orientation for oral exam in Spokane.

July 19, 2017: Received e-mail from AOC notifying that registration for oral exam would open on August 1.

August 1, 2017: Registered for oral exam.

October 16, 2017: Sat oral exam in Spokane.

January 31, 2018: Received a phone call from AOC informing me that I had passed the oral exam.

March 6, 2018: Received package from AOC in the mail with score report, information on background checks, and notification of date for ethics and protocol orientation.

April 6, 2018: Will attend ethics and protocol orientation at Spokane Superior Court with official swearing-in.

As you can see, the whole process took almost one year on the dot. I don't remember anymore how long the proctor originally told us we would have to wait for oral exam results, but as you'll notice it was a good three and a half month wait. Keep that in mind if you, like me, start getting antsy only after two months.

Please don't hesitate to comment if you have any questions about my experience with the court certification process. I'm happy to help anyone going through or interested in the same.

Comments

Popular Posts